Great Lakes Minerals – Your Calcined Bauxite Supplier
Great Lakes Minerals, LLC (GLM) is a leading producer of alumina-based minerals, including high-quality calcined bauxite. Calcined bauxite is used globally for its anti-skid and high friction properties to make roadways safer. It is a strong and highly durable material, which makes it ideal to prevent slips on factory floors and other surfaces.
The high quality of our calcined bauxite products is well recognized in the industry, and our quality assurance process starts with our raw material suppliers. Established in 1999, GLM has a strong track record of providing customers with the best refractory and abrasive products using our state-of-the-art processing technology. Our HFST product, GRIPgrain ®, meets the exacting performance threshold for High Friction Surface Treatment (HFST) products by the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
GLM’s Range of Calcined Bauxite Products
We only use raw materials of the highest quality in the manufacture of our products. GLM’s main market sectors for our calcined bauxite are refractories and abrasives. China is the world’s leading supplier of this material, producing over three million tonnes per annum for abrasive, refractory and welding applications. GLM procures bauxite from China, as well as, Guyana – another major global source of calcined bauxite.
Calcined bauxite properties such as high alumina and low iron make calcined bauxite the ideal raw material in the manufacture of GLM’s refractory and abrasive products:
High Friction Surface Treatment
Our GRIPgrain ® product is fired in a rotary kiln to impart its superior abrasive qualities, hardness, and long-term frictional resistance. We use dust collectors on all our sizing circuits to ensure the product is virtually dust-free. GRIPgrain ® is packaged in durable, high-quality spout-bottom 4000lb bulk bags. Rain caps are added to keep the product dry.
Apart from being used in refractories, our RD-88 calcined bauxite is perfect for anti-skid and anti-slip applications. It is used for vehicle skid prevention and to reduce the risk of pedestrians slipping.
Calcined Bauxite Applications
- Extreme hardness and wear resistance
- High resistance to weathering, abrasion, and polishing
- High durability
- Chemically stable when exposed to intense heat and acid or alkaline agents
Calcined bauxite is used in a number of applications:
- Anti-skid protection. Calcined Bauxite is an ideal aggregate for anti-skid applications. It is used extensively for vehicle skid prevention and on surfaces requiring additional safety. The bauxite may be trowelled into fresh concrete, added to paints or applied to surfaces using resin cements and adhesives.
- Anti-slip protection. This material is ideal for reducing the risk of pedestrians slipping and is used in many industrial, commercial and residential applications. These include pedestrian crosswalks, stairways, factory floors and work zones, sidewalks, ship decks, boat docks, pool decks, bathtubs, and
- High friction surface treatment (HFST). HFST is a cost-effective method to reduce skidding and is mainly used to make roadways safer. It is used on horizontal curves and ramps, intersections, steep grades, bridge decks, roundabouts and pavement surfaces. Studies have indicated that the application of HFST reduces vehicle crashes by up to 100%. The material is applied to surfaces using a polymer binder.
- Refractories. Refractories are insulating materials that maintain their strength and chemical properties at high temperatures. They are used to line boilers, furnaces, kilns, reactors, and GLM is one of the largest importers of refractory-grade bauxite, using only the highest quality materials for our products.
We Are Committed to Providing Outstanding Quality and Service
At Great Lakes Minerals, we place a high premium on ensuring quality through every stage of our production process, from raw material procurement to finished product. GLM is a leading supplier of calcined bauxite. Our calcined bauxite for HFST, GRIPgrain®, complieswith State specifications for sizing and quality control.
GLM’s quality systems are based on ANSI/ASQC C1 1996, and product quality is tested during every stage of the procurement and production process.
We Are At the Forefront of Processing Technology
GLM uses state-of-the-art crushing and sizing technology which makes our company one of the most efficient producers of calcined bauxite in the industry. After processing, our calcined bauxite is crushed, sized and packaged to your precise specifications. Our facility has the capacity to produce calcined bauxite in virtually any size, from 25mm to flours. We have built up a solid reputation as a supplier of the highest quality products for anti-slip, anti-skid and refractory applications, as well as for high friction surface treatment.
Our company’s core management team has been with GLM since start-up in 1999. Our staff members bring many years of experience in the industrial minerals industry to the table.
Great Lakes Minerals takes tremendous pride in our commitment to provide excellent customer service to back up our high-quality products. We deliver the highest quality and service to all our customers. Contact us today to discuss the requirements and deliver a cost-effective solution for your calcined bauxite application.